Measuring Your Love Life
What is your sex life like? How do you feel about sex and your own sexual health and well-being?
Some surprising, interesting and revealing findings have recently come out about people’s sexual attitudes, values and practices. According to the recently published Janis Report on Sexual Behavior, did you know that:
- Men 65 and older are having as much sex as men ages 18-26.
- 31% of adults who describe themselves as “very religious” have had extramarital relations at least once, and 71% had premarital sex.
- 22% of men and 17% of women reported having had at least one homosexual experience.
- 64% of Catholics, 62% of Protestants and 68% of Jews report using contraceptives.
- 26% of women who consider themselves politically ultra-conservative reported having had an abortion.
- Women with the highest education reported having had twice as many sex partners as any other group of women, and the most sexual experiences before marriage.
- 11% of men and 23% of women reported having been sexually molested as children.
- 10% of American men and 4% of American women have had more than 100 sexual partners.
The following questions, adapted in part from Joseph LoPiccolo’s “Sex History Form” may help you clarify what it is you feel about the quality of your sex life:
- For men, when did you get your first erection, and how did you feel about it?
- For women, how did you feel about your first menstrual cycle? Who did you tell and what was their reaction?
- When did you start to masturbate? How often do you masturbate? Do you bring yourself to orgasm by masturbating?
- In a sustained relationship you’ve been in, how has the sex been between the two of you?
- When you look at your genitals and your naked body in the mirror, how do you feel about it?
- How frequently do you and your mate have sexual intercourse or sexual activity? How frequently would you like to have sex?
- Who usually initiates sex? Who would you like to initiate sex?
- How frequently do you feel sexual desire? This may include wanting to have sex, planning to have sex, feeling frustrated due to the lack of sex, and so on.
- For how long do you and your mate usually engage in sexual foreplay (kissing, cuddling, etc.) before having intercourse?
- How long does intercourse usually last?
- Overall, how satisfactory to you is your sexual relationship with your mate? How satisfactory do you think your sexual relationship is to your mate?
- When your mate makes sexual advances, how do you usually respond?
- When you have sex with your mate, what percentage of the time do you feel sexually aroused, turned on or excited?
- When you have sex with your mate, do you have negative emotional reactions, such as fear, disgust, shame or guilt?
- If you try, can you reach orgasm through sexual intercourse?
- Do erotic or pornographic pictures, movies, or books usually arouse you?
- What percentage of the time does the male have trouble in getting or keeping an erection before or during intercourse?
- Do you feel pain in your genitals during intercourse? What percentage of the time?
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
- Relationship Problems Conflicts or Challenges (357)
- Abusiveness (6)
- Ambivalence (3)
- Anger (20)
- Are You Too Needy? (1)
- Borderline Personality Disorder (2)
- Boundaries (4)
- Co-Dependency (3)
- Commitment (33)
- Complainers (1)
- Control / Power Struggles (33)
- Defensiveness (15)
- Disconnection (13)
- Drama Queens (1)
- Emotionally Distant (43)
- Entitlement (2)
- Expectations (2)
- Fighting (3)
- Games Couples Play (1)
- Getting More Support (2)
- Hidden Issues (10)
- Infidelity (38)
- Internet Porn (2)
- Jealousy (9)
- Long Distance Relationships (2)
- Men and Women: Gender Differences in Relationships (21)
- Midlife Crisis (2)
- Money Issues (7)
- Narcissism (9)
- Not Being A Priority (5)
- Psychological Divorce (1)
- Sabotaging a Relationship (47)
- Safety (2)
- Sex / Sexual Issues (52)
- Troubled Loved Ones (3)
- Trust and Betrayal (43)
- Verbal Abuse (7)
- Volatile Relationships (1)
- When am I Good Enough? (1)
- Withdrawal (3)
- Improving Your Relationship (165)
- Apologizing (1)
- Communication (25)
- Compatability (4)
- Conflict Resolution (21)
- Forgiving (18)
- Getting Your Needs Met in Your Relationship (3)
- How To Deepen A Relationship (8)
- Love (24)
- Nurturance (1)
- Reconnecting (6)
- Romance (32)
- Romantic Intelligence (10)
- Seduction-Spark-Passion (6)
- Soulmates (2)
- Spiritual Intimacy (2)
- Traits of Happy Relationships (17)
- Troubleshooting a relationship/Evaluating a Partner (82)
- Improving Yourself (142)
- Christmas Blues (2)
- Dealing With Fears (2)
- Depression (8)
- Emotional Intelligence (6)
- Facing Our Challenges (4)
- Fear of Risking (7)
- Feeling Worthy of Love (2)
- Flourishing (3)
- Happiness (21)
- Inner Critic (8)
- Integrity (5)
- Keep Your New Year_s Resolutions (1)
- Making Peace with the Past (21)
- Maturity (2)
- Memories that won_t go away (2)
- Mistakes (2)
- Owning Your Shadow (3)
- Regeneration (4)
- Regrets (3)
- Resilience (8)
- Self Esteem (33)
- Shame (6)
- Trauma (4)
- Vulnerabilities (2)
- Work (1)
- Worrying (2)
- Looking for a Relationship (45)
- Losing a Relationship (42)
- Family Relationships/Parenting (30)
Dear Neil: I’ve been married for 37 years. My husband no longer notices me. For Christmas, he bought me a book I’d already read, the same ...read more
Dear Neil: My fiancé has cheated on me our entire 3 year relationship, having been faithful for perhaps 2 months in that 3 year period. He proposed ...read more
Dear Neil: I was wondering if you have a Wife 101 column to go with your Husbandry 101 column. What are the equivalent rules for women? Committed ...read more
Dear Neil: I have saved a column you wrote over a decade ago called “Husbandry 101: For Committed Men.” My copy has yellowed and frayed over the ...read more
Over the course of my career as a marriage counselor, I have heard thousands of stories about intimate relationships that have gone wrong.
Love, ...read more
Empathy is the ability to feel the emotions of someone else. It describes how well we identify with other people’s pain, fears, desires, feelings ...read more
We know that for the past 30 or so years, the divorce rate has been stuck between 40 and 50 percent of marriages. We also know that some people who ...read more
Dear Neil: My boyfriend and I have been dating for several months. I am in my 20′s, and am in university. He’s moving at the end of next ...read more
Dear Neil: I don’t know how to start, but I am ever so desperate. I have fallen in love with a man who is 30 (I am 20), and we have been on and ...read more