Older Women/Younger Men Relationships
“I am a 48 year old woman. I have a very satisfying, loving relationship with a 35 year old man,” writes an anonymous woman from rural Colorado. “[We] have recently been discussing marriage, but I am concerned about a long term commitment. Have you any direct knowledge of the success of such relationships?”
There is no reason why an older woman/younger man relationship could not work long term. The dynamics are similar to older men/younger women relationships, with the exception that older men/younger women relationships are more common and are less likely to elicit judgment from other people.
In 1987, according to a study conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics out of Hyattsville, Maryland, 41.2% of women age 35 to 44 marry men younger than themselves, as does 35.6% of women age 45 to 54. There are no figures that I am aware of that attest to what the divorce rate is for such marriages, but let us acknowledge that such relationships are rather common.
It gets stickier, however, the more the age gap increases between the two of you. A 13 year gap means that you come from somewhat different generations. There will be many differences, especially in outlook and viewpoints, all of which could be overcome with persistence and work.
There are some questions that can help you clarify how you feel about this relationship, and can assist you in deciding how you may wish to proceed.
- Do you have trouble with him being less experienced and mature than you?
- Do you view him lacking in traits you define as manly?
- Are you prone to acting superior, parental, or with an “I know best” attitude around him?
- Who is the more critical and judgmental person between the two of you, and about which subjects or issues?
- How would you respond if someone were to mistake you for his mother?
- How similar are your tastes in music, entertainment, recreation, vacations, sexual appetite and physical fitness? How similar are your longer range goals, values, outlooks and lifestyles?
- Do you respect each other? How is respect shown?
- How well does your family accept him? Your friends? How well does his family and friends accept you? Do you have friends in common? How do the two of you socialize together?
- Do you suppose he will be extra tempted by younger women when, say, you are 60 and he is still in his 40′s?
- Are you in agreement on the subject of children?
- How well do the two of you communicate, negotiate and resolve conflict?
- How secure do you feel about his long range ability to bond and commit? Since you mentioned feeling insecure about a long term commitment, I’d recommend you pay close attention to exactly what you are agreeing to concerning the future.
- Do you feel he is choosing you or settling for you? How sure are you of your answer? It is important to feel wanted and chosen.
- Are you choosing him or settling for him?
- How is your childhood influencing this choice? Are you playing a role similar to the role your mother or father played with you? Is he?
- Are there any warning signs you are avoiding because they would be uncomfortable to face?
- How attracted are you to him? How attracted would you guess he is to you?
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
- Relationship Problems Conflicts or Challenges (373)
- Abusiveness (7)
- Ambivalence (3)
- Anger (21)
- Are You Too Needy? (1)
- Borderline Personality Disorder (2)
- Boundaries (4)
- Co-Dependency (3)
- Commitment (33)
- Complainers (1)
- Control / Power Struggles (35)
- Defensiveness (15)
- Disconnection (14)
- Drama Queens (1)
- Emotionally Distant (43)
- Entitlement (2)
- Expectations (2)
- Fighting (3)
- Games Couples Play (1)
- Getting More Support (2)
- Hidden Issues (11)
- Infidelity (38)
- Internet Porn (2)
- Jealousy (9)
- Long Distance Relationships (2)
- Men and Women: Gender Differences in Relationships (22)
- Midlife Crisis (2)
- Money Issues (7)
- Narcissism (9)
- Not Being A Priority (7)
- Psychological Divorce (2)
- Sabotaging a Relationship (47)
- Safety (2)
- Sex / Sexual Issues (54)
- Troubled Loved Ones (3)
- Trust and Betrayal (43)
- Verbal Abuse (7)
- Volatile Relationships (2)
- When am I Good Enough? (1)
- Withdrawal (6)
- Improving Your Relationship (166)
- Apologizing (1)
- Communication (25)
- Compatability (4)
- Conflict Resolution (21)
- Forgiving (16)
- Getting Your Needs Met in Your Relationship (3)
- How To Deepen A Relationship (8)
- Love (25)
- Nurturance (1)
- Reconnecting (6)
- Romance (33)
- Romantic Intelligence (12)
- Seduction-Spark-Passion (6)
- Soulmates (2)
- Spiritual Intimacy (2)
- Traits of Happy Relationships (17)
- Troubleshooting a relationship/Evaluating a Partner (85)
- Improving Yourself (149)
- Christmas Blues (2)
- Dealing With Fears (3)
- Depression (8)
- Emotional Intelligence (6)
- Facing Our Challenges (4)
- Fear of Risking (7)
- Feeling Worthy of Love (3)
- Flourishing (3)
- Happiness (23)
- Inner Critic (9)
- Integrity (5)
- Keep Your New Year_s Resolutions (1)
- Making Peace with the Past (21)
- Maturity (2)
- Memories that won_t go away (2)
- Mistakes (2)
- Owning Your Shadow (3)
- Regeneration (4)
- Regrets (3)
- Resilience (8)
- Self Esteem (34)
- Shame (6)
- Trauma (4)
- Vulnerabilities (2)
- Work (1)
- Worrying (2)
- Looking for a Relationship (47)
- Losing a Relationship (44)
- Family Relationships/Parenting (31)
How do you say goodbye to a dream? More specifically, how do you say goodbye to a person who you once viewed as your dream–your dream romantic ...read more
A woman falls in love with a man. She is wild about him, and will follow him anywhere. But he has a hard time believing that she loves him, and interprets ...read more
Dear Neil: I know I have an anger problem and I need help to control it. When things don’t work out, when I’m running late or when I’ve ...read more
Dear Neil: Could you explain how dating works? I am 29 years old, and don’t know how to tell a guy that I want him to invite me out on a date. ...read more
Dear Neil: Could you address the subject of forgiveness? Although I know what it means to forgive, I’m baffled by how to do it.
My wife ...read more
Do you think you are controlling? Do other people tell you that you are too controlling? Do your relationships have a history of control issues or power ...read more
Dear Neil: I’m a college student, and I started seeing a guy that already had a girlfriend. The only time we would meet was when he wanted a booty ...read more
Here’s a snap quiz in honor of Valentine’s Day. When women use the term romance, what do they mean? What does romance mean to most women? ...read more
Dear Neil: I’ve been married for 37 years. My husband no longer notices me. For Christmas, he bought me a book I’d already read, the same ...read more