Quiz: Are You Controlling?
Do you think you are controlling? Do other people tell you that you are too controlling? Do your relationships have a history of control issues or power struggles? Have lovers and/or spouses objected to you making important decisions without them? Do you take charge of the money in your household and demand explanations for expenditures you haven’t agreed to?
Take this quiz to gauge how controlling you are.
Answer the following questions using this scale. 1 = rarely or never; 2 =seldom; 3 = sometimes; 4 = often; 5 = very often.
1. Do you react negatively or defensively when someone offers you constructive criticism or makes a request of you to do something different?
2. Do you feel uncomfortable when someone gets too close to you emotionally? Do you push away when things are close?
3. Are you a “back-seat” driver?
4. Are you the one who has to drive virtually all the time?
5. In stressful situations, or when things don’t go according to plan, are you quick to anger or irritability?
6. Do you find it difficult to trust other people?
7. In a relationship, do you get your way most of the time? Are things done your way most of the time?
8. In a relationship, do you want to know where your intimate partner is at all times?
9. In a relationship, are you prone to jealousy?
10. Are you a perfectionist, or do you set very high standards for yourself?
11. Because of your high standards, do other people feel criticized by you?
12. Do other people feel they can’t measure up to your standards or expectations?
13. Do you feel vulnerable and out of sorts when you have to depend on other people?
14. Do you dominate discussions? Are you the “take charge” type?
15. Do you get people to do things for you?
16. Do you find it difficult to effectively work as a team?
17. Are you your own worst critic?
18. Do you interrupt people a lot?
19. In your personal life, do you give other people advice or direction way more than they give you advice or direction?
20. Are you a very organized person?
21. Are you typically the center of attention?
22. In a relationship when you’re in a fight, do you tend to win most of the time?
23. Do you take charge of the money in your household and demand explanations for expenditures you haven’t agreed to?
24. Do you react negatively or defensively when someone challenges you or your choices?
25. In a relationship, do you make important decisions without first getting the agreement of your significant other?
If your combined score is 88-125, you are controlling of other people. You likely elicit resentment, anger and withdrawal from other people.
If your combined score is 70-87, you have your moments of being controlling, but you’re not usually considered a “control freak.” You may wish to examine your insecurities and needs more deliberately.
If your combined score is 55-69, you may value being in control over yourself, but not normally over other people.
If your combined score is 54 or below, you are not considered controlling.
Comments are closed.
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
- Relationship Problems Conflicts or Challenges (374)
- Abusiveness (7)
- Ambivalence (3)
- Anger (21)
- Are You Too Needy? (1)
- Borderline Personality Disorder (2)
- Boundaries (4)
- Co-Dependency (3)
- Commitment (34)
- Complainers (1)
- Control / Power Struggles (35)
- Defensiveness (15)
- Disconnection (14)
- Drama Queens (1)
- Emotionally Distant (43)
- Entitlement (2)
- Expectations (2)
- Fighting (3)
- Games Couples Play (1)
- Getting More Support (2)
- Hidden Issues (11)
- Infidelity (38)
- Internet Porn (2)
- Jealousy (9)
- Long Distance Relationships (2)
- Men and Women: Gender Differences in Relationships (22)
- Midlife Crisis (2)
- Money Issues (7)
- Narcissism (9)
- Not Being A Priority (7)
- Psychological Divorce (2)
- Sabotaging a Relationship (47)
- Safety (2)
- Sex / Sexual Issues (54)
- Troubled Loved Ones (3)
- Trust and Betrayal (43)
- Verbal Abuse (7)
- Volatile Relationships (2)
- When am I Good Enough? (1)
- Withdrawal (6)
- Improving Your Relationship (166)
- Apologizing (1)
- Communication (25)
- Compatability (4)
- Conflict Resolution (21)
- Forgiving (16)
- Getting Your Needs Met in Your Relationship (3)
- How To Deepen A Relationship (8)
- Love (25)
- Nurturance (1)
- Reconnecting (6)
- Romance (33)
- Romantic Intelligence (12)
- Seduction-Spark-Passion (6)
- Soulmates (2)
- Spiritual Intimacy (2)
- Traits of Happy Relationships (17)
- Troubleshooting a relationship/Evaluating a Partner (85)
- Improving Yourself (152)
- Christmas Blues (2)
- Dealing With Fears (3)
- Depression (8)
- Emotional Intelligence (6)
- Facing Our Challenges (5)
- Fear of Risking (7)
- Feeling Worthy of Love (3)
- Flourishing (3)
- Happiness (23)
- Inner Critic (9)
- Integrity (5)
- Keep Your New Year_s Resolutions (1)
- Making Peace with the Past (21)
- Maturity (2)
- Memories that won_t go away (2)
- Mistakes (2)
- Owning Your Shadow (3)
- Regeneration (4)
- Regrets (3)
- Resilience (8)
- Self Esteem (34)
- Shame (6)
- Trauma (4)
- Vulnerabilities (2)
- Work (1)
- Worrying (2)
- Looking for a Relationship (48)
- Losing a Relationship (44)
- Family Relationships/Parenting (31)
Dear Neil: My husband and I were married at a very young age–he was 21 and I was 19. We’ve now been married 25 years and have successfully ...read more
A woman falls in love with a man. She is wild about him, and will follow him anywhere. But he has a hard time believing that she loves him, and interprets ...read more
Dear Neil: I know I have an anger problem and I need help to control it. When things don’t work out, when I’m running late or when I’ve ...read more
Dear Neil: Could you explain how dating works? I am 29 years old, and don’t know how to tell a guy that I want him to invite me out on a date. ...read more
Dear Neil: Could you address the subject of forgiveness? Although I know what it means to forgive, I’m baffled by how to do it.
My wife ...read more
Do you think you are controlling? Do other people tell you that you are too controlling? Do your relationships have a history of control issues or power ...read more
Dear Neil: I’m a college student, and I started seeing a guy that already had a girlfriend. The only time we would meet was when he wanted a booty ...read more
Here’s a snap quiz in honor of Valentine’s Day. When women use the term romance, what do they mean? What does romance mean to most women? ...read more
Dear Neil: I’ve been married for 37 years. My husband no longer notices me. For Christmas, he bought me a book I’d already read, the same ...read more